Germany visa application in Nigeria entails applying for either the short-term (also called Visitor’s visa) or the long-term visas. Germany visas (as well as France visa, Italy visa, Lithuania visa and Netherlands visa) are called Schengen visas. The term is used to qualify visas of countries that belong to the European Union (EU) and agree with the Schengen Agreement.
The short-term and long-term visas have subsets.
The subsets or subcategories of the long-term visas are: Family reunion visa, Student, research and language course research, Au Pair/Voluntary work visa and Work visa. While Business visa, Medical visa, Tourist visa, Transit visa, Musician and Artist visa, Priest visa, Sportsmen visa and Visa for visiting family and friends are the subsets of the short-term visas.
This post shall be dedicated to the application of Visa for visiting family and friends under the Germany short-term visas. Detailed information will be written about the long-term and the rest of the short-term visas soonest.
What are Germany Short-term Visas?
Generally speaking, short-term visas are the authorisation given by the authority of a country to foreigners for travelling into the foreign country temporarily. In the case of the Germany short-term visas, they are issued to individuals to stay in Germany for a period of 90 days.
What are the Types of Germany Short-term Visas?
- Business visa
- Medical visa
- Tourist visa
- Transit visa
- Musician and Artist visa
- Priest visa
- Sportsmen visa
- Visa for visiting family and friends
The above list of visa types are the types of Germany short-term visas. Their names explain the services that are provided under each type.
How to Apply for Visa for Visiting Family and Friends
Click HERE to download the general guideline for completing the online application form and read carefully.
Click HERE to fill the online application form and print it out after filling.
Click HERE to book your appointment online.
Take the documents in person, together with the supporting documents, to the Germany consulate office in Lagos on the appointment date. Click here for German Embassy address.
The following are the supporting documents:
- A valid passport and one colour copy of its data page (only E-Passports can be accepted, no observations or renewals allowed).
- Copy of Nigerian residence permit (for non-Nigerian nationals residing in Nigeria).
- Two copies of the same passport photographs to biometric specifications (one is to be attached to application form and while the other stands alone).
- Schengen Visa application form. Please visit Germany official page to fill your application form.
- Travel health insurance: You can buy your travel insurance from us at a discounted rates. As a partner with mutual benefits assurance plc, you can order your travel insurance from us and receive it within 10 minutes. After placing an order, you can either print the insurance from your email or pick up a printed copy at any mutual benefits assurance plc offices or Gulfvisa Travel & Tours office in Lagos. Click here to order your insurance now!
- Copy of flight ticket (including return flight): Read our Hotel Reservation + Flight Reservation for visa application post.
- Proof of accommodation in Germany: In the case where you have no one to invite you, you will need a valid hotel booking as proof of accommodation arrangement. Your hotel booking should be valid and should be verifiable if the embassy calls the hotel. Many hotels will cancel your booking once payment is not received within 24 hours after booking, this could lead to visa refusal. Also, we would not encourage spending lots of money to book hotel when you have not received your visa. We have a solution for the hotel booking which you should see in order not to fall victim. Read our Hotel Reservation + Flight Reservation for visa application post.
- Coloured copy of all previous Schengen visas (if applicable).
- A typed and signed sheet bearing the name, date of birth, place of birth, passport number, telephone number, email, postal address and contact in Germany (name and address).
- Letter of introduction from applicant’s employer.
- Leave letter from applicant’s employer.
- Bank stamped and signed personal bank statements of the applicant for the last three months.
- Applicant’s pay slip for the last three months.
- Guarantor’s form that has been signed by the inviting friend or relative of the applicant in Germany as issued by the Aliens Authority in Germany.
- Copy of the passport and page of the inviting person in Germany with a residence permit.
- Marriage Certificate issued by marriage registry or wedding pictures and affidavit of facts if traditionally married (this is not for frequent travellers).
- Birth certificates of children (minor) even if they will not travel.
- If going on a family visit, the applicant must provide proof of relationship – such as birth certificates of the inviting relative in Germany (photocopy) and applicant (original and photocopy). Affidavit or declaration of age is unacceptable.
- A prepaid envelope by any major courier service to return passport and original documents.
If applicant is a minor, he must provide:
- Birth certificate
- Letter of school confirming current enrolment and sanctioning leave of absence.
- Consent letter from both parents regarding child’s travel.
- Copy of parent’s passports.
- Death certificate (If one parent is deceased).
- Court order regarding child’s custody (if parents are divorced).
- You may encounter a little difficulty when booking your appointment online. This is due to heavy traffic on the portal. Just keep trying.
- You will have to pay a visa fee upon the submission of your application. The charges, as mentioned on the official website of Germany Embassy, is N13,000 but we advise that you go with N21,000.
- Visa fee is not fixed.
- Supplementary information or evidence may be requested.
You can drop your comments for questions or clarification on this post and please click any of the buttons below to share the post through the social network.
If you have not taken our free visa eligibility test, we advise you take the test now in order to properly plan your application.
Do you need further assistance?
Contact us for professional consulting services on your application. Starting from ₦20,000 only, we will handle your application and provide the necessary guidance to ensure a successful visa application.